Bringing Pets to China

Before going to China

To bring your pet into China you will need two certificates;

1. A Vaccination Certificate
2. A Health Certificate

1. The Vaccination Certificate

This certificate holds the information that all injections are up-to-date. All the vaccinations should be taken within 30 days of departure. The Vaccination Certification could consist of multiple vaccination certificates, this depends on the kind of animal you would like to bring into China .

2. The Health Certificate

A veterinarian in your home country should issue this certificate. There is no standard form for China so your veterinarian should use the international certificate. This certificate should be issued no more than 30 days prior to your departure. Obtain multiple copies as you will also need copies for your airline.

Arriving in China

When you arrive in Shanghai you will have to declare your pet at the Customs Department.
Take your pet, fee and certificates to the Customs & Immigration Plant and Quarantine office at the airport – it’s located before the Customs exit. You will be charged RMB150, the certificates will be examined and customs will give you a stamped document allowing you to bring your pet in. Note that there is a mandatory 30 days quarantine period. You can usually keep your pet with you at home for this period however. Quarantine officers will come and inspect your pet during the 30 day period, and charge a small nominal fee.
The regulations are as follows


All Dogs, whether bought locally or imported from outside China through a full quarantine, are required by law to be licensed. Any foreign national, irrespective of whether holding a residents’ permit or not, cannot register the dog themselves, it must be registered using the ID Card of a Local Chinese.

Application forms (which are in Chinese) must be completed and accompanied by three photographs: one of the dog’s face, one side view of the dog and one passport-sized photograph of the owner.

Dog licence prices vary depending on where you live – the city is divided into two area’s – inner ringroad, and outer ringroad. People living in the inner ringroad pay more and people in the outer ringroad pay half that.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Latest Blog Post