Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Want To Marry Muslim Girl

Discuss about the Malaysian News, Expatriates concerns & interests. International issues and other serious subjects can also be discussed here.

Moderators: Skyking2, fizzysoup, poker, Shardy, Rogier, JazzMatt

Want To Marry Muslim Girl

• Bookmark and Share

Postby PeePee » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:49 am

I am non muslim and want to marry a muslim girl soon. Is there any way I can do this in Malaysia without having to convert to a Muslim? Is there anyway our kids (in the future) can embrace another religion either than islam?

Technically speaking, she's a malay by name. But in reality she's not as her muslim dad left the family a long long time ago and the muslim name kind of stuck. Her mom's chinese.
PeePee

Re: Want To Marry Muslim Girl

Postby IceQueen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:55 am

PeePee wrote:I am non muslim and want to marry a muslim girl soon. Is there any way I can do this in Malaysia without having to convert to a Muslim? Is there anyway our kids (in the future) can embrace another religion either than islam?

Technically speaking, she's a malay by name. But in reality she's not as her muslim dad left the family a long long time ago and the muslim name kind of stuck. Her mom's chinese.

We have had several discussions regarding these sort of topics. Try this link

http://www.alloexpat.com/malaysia_expat ... php?t=5688

Anyway, to marry a Muslim in malaysia, you must convert. Even if she is a Muslim by name, this is Malaysian government ruling. The reason is that your kids will automatically embrace Islam and there will be no further confusion on which religion to choose.
In Malaysia, everyone else (especially non-Muslims) are given the right to choose their religion. But if you are once a Muslim convert, you can never turn back and there is no choice.
Well, all the best in whichever your choice is. You can still marry your girl abroad and live there (without you converting to Islam) but your marriage will not be considered legal by the Malaysian government. If your girl is ok with it, than i guess there should not be any problem.
IceQueen

Sponsored Links

Re: Want To Marry Muslim Girl

Postby phoenix » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:41 am

PeePee wrote:I am non muslim and want to marry a muslim girl soon. Is there any way I can do this in Malaysia without having to convert to a Muslim? Is there anyway our kids (in the future) can embrace another religion either than islam?

peepee,

honestly, there is just no way for you to marry a muslim without converting here in malaysia. As long as your gf has a muslim name, there is no way you want to marry her without converting unless she and you move to some other country to be married. That's the other option you can look into if you do not want to convert.

And this is a thread which i have posted a while back. It tells you what your kid will so called face if they are muslim or what you might have to go through when you convert... certain thing you might want to consider as well:

http://www.alloexpat.com/malaysia_expat ... php?t=5833

Good luck...
phoenix

Postby JZ6 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:14 pm

honestly, there is just no way for you to marry a muslim without converting here in malaysia

I am currently working part time with a company, the boss is an Englishman, he married a local Malay woman, now expecting the forth or fifth kids. Surprisingly when he gave me the business card, his name is English, nothing Abdullah, now I am curious, how come he can still keep his name?
JZ6

Postby rajulkabir » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:16 pm

JZ6 wrote:
honestly, there is just no way for you to marry a muslim without converting here in malaysia

I am currently working part time with a company, the boss is an Englishman, he married a local Malay woman, now expecting the forth or fifth kids. Surprisingly when he gave me the business card, his name is English, nothing Abdullah, now I am curious, how come he can still keep his name?

My business card doesn't have my full name on it.
rajulkabir

Postby phoenix » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:22 pm

JZ6 wrote:

he still can... my god brother is a convert but in his business card, he uses his real chinese name... that is nothing wrong and i am not sure about now, but during those time, it is not a compulsory for a convert to change his IC as well... as long he has got the convert ID card is good enough to prove that you is a muslim...

or sometimes, you can even use either one... of course you can keep your original name... my cousin still keeps her name too but she is married to a malay
phoenix

Postby phoenix » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:26 pm

Dance with me wrote: EG: you have a dog, you name it Jacky, after 3 years you decided to change the name to DongDong, the dog will still be the same dog, nothing changes its personality or character.

DWM, you cracked me up la today... why of all name you came up with a dog's name dongdong... lol... so cute... ha ha ha
phoenix

Postby peacelikeariver » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:27 pm

He's retained his birth name, and upon religious conversion -- is probably using an alias.

e.g. John Lee @ Johan Abdullah

peacey
peacelikeariver

Postby Vixey » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:19 pm

JZ6 wrote:

My ex is the son of a Swedish father and Malay mother. His father had to convert but refrained from putting the Abdullah on correspondence etc.
Even my ex has an English name and a Swedish surname without the Abdullah.
Name isn't an indicator.
Bottom line, if you want to marry a Muslim and register the marriage in Malaysia, you have to convert, no two ways about that.

Peepee, since your girl is only Muslim by virtue of her now absent father, if she is ok with it, marry elsewhere and save yourselves alot of headache. Wouldn't want your kids going through what you are perplexed about now,right?
Vixey

Postby Azya » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:37 am

JZ6 wrote:I am currently working part time with a company, the boss is an Englishman, he married a local Malay woman, now expecting the forth or fifth kids. Surprisingly when he gave me the business card, his name is English, nothing Abdullah, now I am curious, how come he can still keep his name?

My husband's muslim name only appear on his conversion card, marriage certificate and in the future, children birth certificates.

On children birth certificates (born in Malaysia), his surname will be used instead of bin or binti but religion of parents - Islam.

The religious department did advise him to change his name accordingly but we decided not to do it. Nevertheless, we do have to provide marriage certificate and/or his conversion card in dealing with issues like work permit, opening a joint bank account, set up a trust, etc.
Azya

Next