Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Visa for a baby born in malaysia

Malaysian Immigration related issues and discussion. Information about work permits, employment pass, training pass, spouse program, etc.

Moderators: Skyking2, Shardy, Rogier, Zarrar, Immigration Consultant

Visa for a baby born in malaysia

• Bookmark and Share

Postby salem » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:30 pm

I need your help.

I am a PhD student and my wife a Master student in Malaysia. We are from YEMEM. My wife delivered a baby here in malaysia.

My baby does not have a passport. I can not get a passport for him from my embassy. We are going back to Yemen for a visit so there I will get a passport for him.

What are the procedures to get a visa for my son?

When I come back to Malaysia should I pay a plenty?

should I get a separate passport for my son or add him to his mother passport?

Thank you.

Salem.
salem

Postby Patrice » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Salem,

The part I don't get is "I cannot get a passport for my baby"...
Your embassy refuses to deliver it? For what reasons?

Normally, if your baby was born in Malaysia, you should have a birth certificate in Malay. One made thanks to the papers the clinic provided for you.
And you are supposed to be able to get a passport done with this paper, then to apply for a dependent pass for the baby linked to your work permit.

I really doubt the Malaysian immigration will let you leave the country with your baby having no passport even if you present the birth certificate...
Patrice

Sponsored Links

Postby Ahnissi » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:07 am

Patrice wrote:Hi Salem,

The part I don't get is "I cannot get a passport for my baby"...
Your embassy refuses to deliver it? For what reasons?

Patrice, not all embassies issue passports abroad. Mine, for example, doesn't. Yeah I know how stupid it is. :(
The best they can do is give special papers, with which a parent will be able to cross the border back to home country to get the passport there. There's a similar procedure when one loses a passport, he'll have to travel back home to get replacement. The only exclusion is for diplomatic personnel themselves afaik.
I'm not sure, maybe in Yemen, it's the same story...

Salem, congratulations! :D
I think you'd better get a separate passport for the baby.
How much you'll have to pay for your baby's visa depends on the fees imposed by your immigration agent. If you deal with Immigration Department directly, it's very cheap, but may take long time.
The procedure is the same as for your wife's dependant pass. You'll need a copy of birth certificate, and a copy of marriage certificate, with certified translation, if it's not in English.
Ahnissi

Postby salem » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:57 am

Thank you for your responses

My embassy can not issue passport. Everything is sent to Yemen. This may take long time.

I have got a "Transit Permit" from my embassy for my son. So there is no problem to travel back to Yemen.

My wife is a student and has a student visa.

I have read in http://www.gso.upm.edu.my/visa/vdepend.htm that
"Journey Perfomed Fee (JP) will be imposed on a student if he/she applies a social pass for a new child born in Malaysia and registered in his/her passport".

I think a better way to avoid the Journey Perfomed Fee is to get a separate passport for my son and apply for social pass for him while I am in Yemen and don't enter Malaysia until I get it. Am I right? please tell me.

Thank you.

Salem.
salem

Postby Patrice » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:03 pm

salem wrote:Thank you for your responses

My embassy can not issue passport. Everything is sent to Yemen. This may take long time.

I have got a "Transit Permit" from my embassy for my son. So there is no problem to travel back to Yemen.

My wife is a student and has a student visa.

I have read in http://www.gso.upm.edu.my/visa/vdepend.htm that
"Journey Perfomed Fee (JP) will be imposed on a student if he/she applies a social pass for a new child born in Malaysia and registered in his/her passport".

I think a better way to avoid the Journey Perfomed Fee is to get a separate passport for my son and apply for social pass for him while I am in Yemen and don't enter Malaysia until I get it. Am I right? please tell me.

Thank you.

Salem.

It uses to be the case for French passports. Now they are made in HK and it also takes time (well over a month). But I had not problem to wait for it and do the dependent pass when I got them, over 4 months after birth.
So if you can get the passport delivered to Malaysia, you do not have to go especially to Yemen - unless of course you go there anyway.

As for a separate passport, yes it is advisable - but you have to be in Malaysia to get the dependent pass.
Patrice