Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Streamyx 4mbps

If you have any question about IT or Geek stuff, this forum is for you. Internet, ADSL, satellite, digital cameras, phones, TV, computer hardware and software, technology etc.

Moderators: Skyking2, Rogier

• Bookmark and Share

Postby rajulkabir » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:19 am

Patrice wrote:Yes i read about this, but it is only for using internet on the phone, not with your laptop... :(

If your phone and your laptop both have bluetooth, you're good to go; I get online that way all the time.

Otherwise you can pick up a USB modem for your laptop with a SIM card slot for RM250 or thereabouts.
rajulkabir

Postby Patrice » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:32 am

rajulkabir wrote:
Patrice wrote:Yes i read about this, but it is only for using internet on the phone, not with your laptop... :(

If your phone and your laptop both have bluetooth, you're good to go; I get online that way all the time.

Otherwise you can pick up a USB modem for your laptop with a SIM card slot for RM250 or thereabouts.

Yes, for long term Bluetooth kills the battery of the phone and in HSPDA i have noticed the phone really heats up for long term use.
So the USB modem might be better (but not quite sure it works wit hprepaid sim card?).
Patrice

Sponsored Links

Postby houb » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Could you let me know in what area of KL you are located with that Streamyx line? I think speeds are still not that great, but absolutely good enough to do everything you need without waiting. Right now I am waiting all the time, since speeds drop to 20kb/s every now and then.

As far as the max speeds; I am aware there are much bigger lines in NL :). I was refering to my nephew because he has a standard family line....:)

Anyways, as I am still not yet fully settled I cannot commit to a fixed line (because of the 1 yr minimum requirement). I am glad I discovered that that is my main problem right now :)

Thanks and cheers!

Ilya
houb

Postby rajulkabir » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:19 pm

houb wrote:Could you let me know in what area of KL you are located with that Streamyx line? I think speeds are still not that great, but absolutely good enough to do everything you need without waiting. Right now I am waiting all the time, since speeds drop to 20kb/s every now and then.

I live right in the centre of the city, in the Bukit Bintang area. This condo building has a fibre connection to TM, with its own DSLAM in the basement. That eliminates problems with the copper wire that plague some neighbourhoods and especially houses. But problems with their internal network and international links still persist, of course.

I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who set me up with a VPN connection via his office in Singapore (which I wasn't using for those speed tests I posted earlier). When Streamyx is getting on my nerves I activate that, and then I almost always get maximum speed (4096/512) to everywhere worldwide. I believe there are some fairly affordable commercial VPN providers out there, in the range of RM30/month. Assuming you are not having problems with your copper, then adding that to your Streamyx connection ought to make for a pretty happy experience.
rajulkabir

Postby houb » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Do you mean you connect to that VPN without the use and interference of Streamyx?

If that's really available that would be great yes, though I still have to get rid of this MyKris acct first.

Unfortunately right now there aren't many option left for me (but the tip is great, please do inform me more about those vpn options if possible)..

Thanks

Ilya
houb

Previous