Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Regarding Cancellation of Work permit in Malaysia

Malaysian Immigration related issues and discussion. Information about work permits, employment pass, training pass, spouse program, etc.

Moderators: Skyking2, Shardy, Rogier, Zarrar, Immigration Consultant

Regarding Cancellation of Work permit in Malaysia

• Bookmark and Share

Postby jsbs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:46 am

Hi.. Somebody help...

I had to return to my homeland within a month after working in Malaysia.. While returning I had submitted my resignation to the company. The company has asked me to pay so much of money which i dont have. is there any possibility to cancel my work permit frm my homeland. my wp is valid till 2012. will it be a prob if i jus leave it wit out cancelling the work permit. also will it be a problem if i take up job in anohter country.

i want to know whether i can cancl the wp from my homeland. i do not want to pay my company cos they cheated me by saying one thing and giving another thng. wat can the company do to me if i do not pay. also i had already returned to my homeland and will not be visiting aor taking up any job in malaysia forever.

somebody pls help me wit a solution. is there anything to worry. pls be open.
jsbs

Re: Regarding Cancellation of Work permit in Malaysia

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:17 pm

jsbs wrote:Hi.. Somebody help...

I had to return to my homeland within a month after working in Malaysia.. While returning I had submitted my resignation to the company. The company has asked me to pay so much of money which i dont have. is there any possibility to cancel my work permit frm my homeland. my wp is valid till 2012. will it be a prob if i jus leave it wit out cancelling the work permit. also will it be a problem if i take up job in anohter country.

i want to know whether i can cancl the wp from my homeland. i do not want to pay my company cos they cheated me by saying one thing and giving another thng. wat can the company do to me if i do not pay. also i had already returned to my homeland and will not be visiting aor taking up any job in malaysia forever.

somebody pls help me wit a solution. is there anything to worry. pls be open.

First of all, there is no such agreement or contract that can hold up in a court of law whereby an individual is NOT allowed to resign or to submit a letter of resignation in order to go home for whatever reason it may be.

Yes, some compensation may be due (cost to apply for permits and other small costs) but penalizing someone and demanding payment as compensation is a no go.

They cannot do anything to you if you choose to work in another country. Its a free market economy and they CANNOT force you to stay if you choose not to.

I don't think you can cancel the work permit; only the company can to avoid people resigning, and joining another company in malaysia.

But otherwise, i wouldn't worry too much about it, esp. if you don't have plans to come back and work in malaysia.

If someone ask's why you are not working in malaysia anymore, just say the previous company defaulted on their promises and agreement you had signed and broke the contract so you resigned and left.
Grumman TBF Avenger

Sponsored Links

thnks

Postby jsbs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:17 pm

thank u for u kind reply.. one more question... is there any possibility for the company to take any action against me.... one of the persons in the company had threatened me sayin tht the company might take nasty action if am not reverting.. also they do not know that i have returned to my homeland.. they r thinking tht am still in malaysia.. can anything be dne by the company
jsbs

Re: thnks

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:27 pm

jsbs wrote:thank u for u kind reply.. one more question... is there any possibility for the company to take any action against me.... one of the persons in the company had threatened me sayin tht the company might take nasty action if am not reverting.. also they do not know that i have returned to my homeland.. they r thinking tht am still in malaysia.. can anything be dne by the company

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. What are they going to sue you for? You have diligently done your work for the 1 month and found you are unable to settle down in Malaysia and given them notice.

Thats part and parcel of the risk of hiring foreign workers and professionals and they obviously think making threats will make people scared.

They are lucky you didn't make a police report against them for harrassement.

I assume you didn't steal, or cause any problems before you left so...:)
Grumman TBF Avenger

Postby jsbs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:13 pm

no.. i settled everything properly... handed over all the documents and everything... the only thing they r threatening for is money.. nothing else.. thas why am asking... wat action the compny can possibly take against me if at all they can take???.. i guess they cannot do anything since am at my homeland and not in malaysia any more...
jsbs

RE

Postby bryanfuller » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:28 pm

I am agree with this discussion
bryanfuller

Postby cvco » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:52 pm

As far as hunting you down, id say they cant do anything--and wont. The trouble isnt worth it and you can forget about it.

But that doesnt "try" the case, like what happened, your story, their story, what did you do to mitigate the problems instead of resigning, what was written in letters about this from either party, who promised what, who said what, etc.

But as to your obligations, even though you are home now, out of peronal honor I would pay them **IF** you had previously promised or contracted to pay if you should leave before the contract is finished. If not, then blow it off and move on...and be much more careful in your dealings next time.

BUT.....
Question to the group, when staff is a runaway, do companies make reports to immigration or LHDN for any reason? If so, what do the reports say, as to whether or not records are kept should the person return to the country later? Im asking partly because there was that famous case of a UK fellow who resigned and ran, and then was sued abroad for massive unpaid taxes--and jailed in Malaysia. The case had this poor sap languishing in jail for years because, his story, he left the company but they didnt take him off the company rolls, instead continued to bank and then steal his salary for 10 years and never paid tax, leaving everything in his name and therefore he takes the rap. Unless the company is a branded name there is all sorts of risk, isnt it.

Oops....that begs another question then...maybe he MUST do something, like write letters to Immigration, LHDN, etc etc and tell them the date of resignation and final salary payment etc. Better safe than sorry.
cvco

Nationality: Greece (gr)