Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Petronas Carigali

Discuss about the Malaysian News, Expatriates concerns & interests. International issues and other serious subjects can also be discussed here.

Moderators: Skyking2, fizzysoup, poker, Shardy, Rogier, JazzMatt

Petronas Carigali

• Bookmark and Share

Postby Grune » Wed May 18, 2005 4:19 pm

Hello everyone,

Ive been offered a job with Petronas Carigali working in the towers (cool!).

I know KL would be a great place to live (for a UK expat like me). Does anyone have any comments about working for Petronas Carigali or has anyone had dealings with the company and its employees?

Be good to know before signing on the dotted line.

Thanks.
Grune

Postby dotP » Wed May 18, 2005 5:01 pm

Yeah, why not?!
dotP

Sponsored Links

Postby Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 12:08 pm

Typically, the oil majors here offer good packages and benefits.
Its one of the best countries in the world to work.
If you are likely to be here more than a year or so, grab the housing and car allowances and buy both.

Postby Guest » Thu May 19, 2005 12:21 pm

Our company have business dealing with Petronas Carigali. Well of course it has its pro and cons working with them. Sign up as a member and i'll PM you and tell you 'bout it.

suz

see for yourself

Postby been there done that » Fri May 20, 2005 1:28 pm

I just completed my two year contract with Petronas. I would not work for this company again.

First, they offer you a fixed monthly RM5000 allowance for the housing and transportation. Generally, if you have a maste degree you get around US$100,000 a year (Petronas pay the 28% local taxes).

You will be in for a surprise working for this oil company. It is a mess. It is no way near a real world competitive company. Most of the work are done by expatriates. The malay manager takes the credit. They have so called CTE who will control you.

The real managers (malay) in high places are not competent and do what ever you proposed. The malay workers are lazy.

As a visitor if you wanted to get a entry badge, they guy and gal sitting in front of the reception desk in Tower 2 will tell you to wait until 1:00pm (not a few minutes before). Yes, they have big office up in the towers, what a waste of office space.

[edited by admin]
[no personal attack on this forum]

The security guard of the buidling are all hiding in the small room in front of the reception desk (air condition). malay workers come to work half and hour late and have an extended long lunch break everyday.

We expatriate, from England, Nigeria, Sudan, Australia, Sweden, India, work over butts off and you see a whole bunch of lazy office worker hanging around --- great morale booster, isn't it?

The lazy near retiring age managers are sent oversea (like Sudan) to enjoy the extra benefits and priviledge. In the Tower, most of the experts you see are Malaysian Chinese, Malaysian Indians, Caucasians.

You will not believe that a giant company prevelance /major spreadsheet software is Lotus 1-2-3 and the major word processer used is not the MS word. They are cheap. Petronas do not want to spend the money to use Microsoft suite of program. They use freelance for their graphing needs to draw diagram. Do not try to email anything to petronas email system bigger than 2 megabyte. Their system can not handle it and your attachment will never get into their email system.

save this email and read it again in one month to see if I tell you the truth or not.
been there done that

Re: see for yourself

Postby Nellie » Fri May 20, 2005 2:01 pm

been there done that wrote:I just completed my two year contract with Petronas. I would not work for this company again.

Whoever you are your talking nonsense.
Nellie

Postby Guest » Fri May 20, 2005 2:12 pm

been there done that wrote:I just completed my two year contract with Petronas. I would not work for this company again.

is this normal to give names and making racist comments? style of writing seems to indicate local in origin and NOT expat as the writer claims.

Postby drac » Fri May 20, 2005 5:48 pm

C'mon - everyone can share their opinions. This is harsh towards Petronas - I know, however it may be true.

I've heard a lot of complaints from expats about the local workers. It is very difficult to get used to "the relaxed atmosphere", "the management" and "the efficiency" in the office.

I struggled too, especially in the beginning. Now I got used to things being done completely "different"... It pisses me off every now and then, I admit. If I'm fed up, I switch to my "negociation skills mode" (as experienced by fellow forumers in karaoke place during our recent gathering).

Oh well I guess Malaysia will never be like Switzerland...
drac

Postby shamini » Sat May 21, 2005 3:15 pm

I'm local and I struggle at times! I've met expats who "get the idea" and adjust to the way things are done in Malaysia and then there are those who just run to catch the next plane outta here.

So Grune, the thing is whether you're adaptable or not...afterall, no one could reasonably expect to come out to work in another country and think it should be the same as theirs right? You probably now know the worst of it, how 'bout sampling the good parts of life in Malaysia?
shamini

Postby Good » Sun May 22, 2005 6:29 am

Anonymous wrote:

is this normal to give names and making racist comments? style of writing seems to indicate local in origin and NOT expat as the writer claims.

I don't think that Grune is making racist atttck! He is just telling the "culture" of Petronas. The lazy Malay he was talking in only refer to those who work in Petronas and not the whole Malay in Malaysia.
I am great someone tell me the truth about the company.
Good

Next