Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Outdoor furniture in Penang

Dedicated discussion forum for the Penang community.
Make this forum the ultimate in & out Penang guide.

Moderators: Skyking2, Rogier, amienleo

Outdoor furniture in Penang

• Bookmark and Share

Postby fabdog » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:32 am

Greetings- We've been in Penang for about 9 months. Our townhouse has an outdoor patio, and we are looking for some outdoor patio furniture. We haven't been able to locate any.

Does anyone know of any places on the Island or Prai that sell outdoor furniture? Or is a visit to KL in the cards?

Appreciate any leads

Thanks

Mike
fabdog

Postby penny » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:59 pm

fabdog, I've seen some patio furniture and umbrellas on Penang island at:

1. Mekio, at Gurney Plaza, it's on the 3rd floor.

2a. A shop on Kelawei Rd on the opposite side of Gurney Plaza,between the Plaza and the roundabout. You can see huge planters(Bali Style),carry mainly teak stuffs.
2b. Same road right at the corner at the roundabout that utilizes its garden as a "hot-pot" restaurant,they used to have some teak ones. But, I'm not sure if they still do,can check it out.

3. Right on Greenlane Rd. ie the road when you get off the flyover at the big mosque. It's on the other side. You'll see lots of semi-Ds and terrace houses converted to shops. Just drive slowly and you'll notice one with lots of patio furniture. There are U-turns exits along that road.

4. If you know someone with a Makro Card,then you can also take a look there. You'll need that card to get in. I bought my patio stuffs and umbrellas there.
penny

Sponsored Links

Thanks!!

Postby fabdog » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:05 am

Penny-

thanks for the tips, we'll check them out!!

Mike
fabdog

Postby penny » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:09 pm

fabdog:

Ref to #3: I was down GreenLane Rd yesterday,that shop that sells patio furniture is called Cellini right next to Pro Fitness that sells exercise machines.
It's close to Caltex on the same side and Esso is right across the road.
So coming down the flyover you have to drive a distance past the beautiful McDonald on your left and further down till you see the Chevrolet outlet on your right and then watch out for the ProFitness on the right that has a fairly big sign.
penny

Thanks!!

Postby fabdog » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:22 am

Penny-

thanks for the extra detail!! We Plan to go there today

Mike
fabdog

Postby The Dream » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:46 am

Meiko at Gurney Plaza is gone...its now on Jalan Burma - they have a bit of outdoor furniture, not a great deal. Lower end metallic stuff...

Getting back to Penny's reply about Cellini's on Greenlane, the place selling outdoor furnitire next to the exercise machine place is not called Cellini's. It does sell outdoor furniture (closed on Sundays apparently) though. Cellini's is further down, and does not sell any outdoor furniture...it sells high end modern indoor furniture.
The Dream

Postby penny » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:55 am

Yes, you're correct domblendell, things have changed quite a bit these 2+ years! :)
The new Cellini has moved down the road close to the big mosque and now into highend indoor furniture.
Mekio closed in Gurney and has recently consolidate with the branch at Burmah Rd (the end that's nearer to Pg Rd). I dropped by to take a look a week ago and they were still sorting out things...
The one on Kelawei Rd across from Gurney Plaza is also closed for business and some other business in the building.

It's not easy to find high end garden furniture in Pg like those you see in KL at Courtyard on Jalan Ampang. I was looking for 'renovators' lately and E&O gave me Courtyard's, maybe those interested can give Courtyard a call as they supply the E&O project in Pg...tel. 603-21632868
Or check over at that place next to Pro Fitness in Greenlane...might still be in business.
penny

Postby The Dream » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:52 pm

oopps!! sorry - did not even notice that the post is like 2-3 yrs old!

The one in Greenlane I went to a couple of days ago. Its still there, however the sales guy in there was highly useless, and once again, unless u want to spend 2k on an average set, it is not worth going. Out of all the places I have seen, Meiko is the best (for those that want reasonably priced outdoor furniture)...pick up one of those metallic sets for about RM400-500...
The Dream

outdoor furniture

Postby PMcD » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Dom be sure to get something that doesnt stain as you are sure to see some spillage in ur regular stupors (beer/wine/spewage)
PMcD