Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Long stay tourist visa

Malaysian Immigration related issues and discussion. Information about work permits, employment pass, training pass, spouse program, etc.

Moderators: Skyking2, Shardy, Rogier, Zarrar, Immigration Consultant

Long stay tourist visa

• Bookmark and Share

Postby debito » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:49 pm

Hi you all !
I am sure you will give me some good advice so I will tell you what we, my friend and I, would like to do and then perhaps we can make our future plans.
I am a UK citizen and my friend is Japanese, we are not married, just good friends as they used to say. I am 50+ and she is 50 later this year, we would like to rent a condo in Penang for a few years. We love the country very much, the people, the food and the climate is very much to our liking. We are both taking our retirement early and have between us an income of about 6000rm a month and some savings, later in the year we will have a little more money and some years later we will have a little bit more.
As we are not married MM2H would tie up a large amount of our money and to be honest, we do not wish to purchase any property, just to rent a home for a few years and have our `base` in Penang.
We would like to move there later this year, plant our belongings, set down some roots and fly off to Australia for a few weeks, then come back and get on with Malaysian life, explore the country and the region, travel about, enjoy the beaches and the food, the cities and the culture.
We like to feel secure in what we do and do not want that awful feeling when we are out of Malaysia that we will not be able to return to our home and our belongings.
We have had such conflicting advice so far from the official channels.
Is there a way that we can do this ?
:)
debito

Postby Immigration Consultant » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 am

Hi. Debito,

Read your msg. It is too risky to enter social visit pass frequently. The best option I suggest is to apply for MMSH which allows you to be more flexible in planning your stay in Malaysia.

But as for your friend, a Japanese she too has to choose as the above unless you regard as common law to include her as dependent in your MMSH application.

Regards

Immigration Consultant
Immigration Consultant
Staff Member

Sponsored Links

Postby debito » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:49 pm

Thankyou very much for your reply Immigration Consultant, I had the feeling that that would be the case. I think the `dependant` route might be worth following, although I think that road is strewn with obstacles and hidden difficulties. How do we prove `dependancy` to the authorities satisfaction ?

1-Our position is not `normal`inasmuch as my partner has never been granted a divorce by her estranged husband.
2-We live on different continents at the moment.

Although we are a just a boring old couple in our middle age who want to retire `injured` from the crease and lead a quiet life together amongst friendly people, with a few sunny beaches and top class restaurants thrown into the mix and regular visists from our friends and relatives to pass the time, I fear we will be stymied by this vaguary of Japanese culture, which appears to be much more of an obstacle to unknown clerks stuck behind desks than it does to our respective families.
It would be a great shame if we could not come to Malaysia and definately having so much money tied up with 2 applications would put a stop to our plans. With 2 applications we could withdraw 90,000RM each after one year and buy 2 houses worth 230,000+RM each, which is absolutely no use to us whatsoever. We just want to rent a nice condominium and travel about a bit. Maybe if we could withdraw 90,000RM each and put it towards 10 years rent and buy some nice furniture it would be OK ! :lol:
I think maybe we should wait until the end of the year when my partner will reach the magic number `50`and then look at it again perhaps, or consider living in Spain/Portugal/France/Canada/Australia or UK and Japan jointly instead, but, that would be a pity really because Malaysia has been our `dream` destination for a few years now. We would much rather spend our money in Malaysia than anywhere else. We even know exactly what condominium we want to live in after our `recce` of 2005 !
Sorry to have gone on a bit (a lot) about this, but I have tried getting answers from the Immigration Department in Penang, KL and the High Commissions in Tokyo and London, we either get no answer at all or such mixed advice as to preclude, after 2 years of trying, any furthur attempts at making this move to our `dream destination`. We are getting towards our wits end now and we really need to know whether we can do this or not. Life doesn`t go on for ever and you never get back any of those wasted moments and before you know it, it is too late.
My sincere thanks for your reply...Debito
debito

Postby intwtl » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:03 am

In reality, many people that are looking for a lifestyle like you (semi-permanent tourist) just come in on social visas. You will get 90 days and then need to get an extension or go out and return.

As you intend to take trips around the region it will get you out for awhile so you won't be making a quick turnaround each visa run.

You don't need to tie up funds in real estate as there are many rentals (furnished or unfurnished) around.

With Firefly now making flights to Thailand along with the usual Mas/SQ flights to Singapore people have a wide choice for runs.

You might give this a try and see what you think after awhile.
intwtl

Postby debito » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:38 pm

Yes I agree with you, that would be ideal and we know exactly what condominium we would like ! At the moment we are struggling with some conflicting information, the High Commission in Tokyo says that Japanese citizens can only spend six months of the year in Malaysia. I am absolutely convinced that that is not the case.
To be honest, I think we should just go there and do it, rent the apartment that we want, pay a years rent `up front` and come and go as we see fit.
Convincing my other half is going to be the biggest problem :D !
I will phone the Immigration Department in Malaysia and try to get some kind of clarification. Thanks intwtl.
debito

Postby intwtl » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:11 am

Good Luck with the immigration in KL. It seems that many have different opinions (meaning it may well depend on who you talk to).

I do know that there are several Japanese that are semi permanent tourists that make runs here. I have not heard about the 6 month limit for Japanese. Interesting.

Good Luck
intwtl

Postby debito » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks, we will be in Penang in July if all goes well !
debito