Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Labuan

Dedicated discussion forum for the Sabah / Sarawak community.
Make this forum the ultimate in & out East Malaysia guide.

Moderators: Skyking2, Rogier

Labuan

• Bookmark and Share

Postby ld » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 pm

belated happy chinese new year to all!!!

i hope you don't mind giving me information about Labuan with regards to the following matters:

- cost of living
- standard of living
- working permits for a dependent wife
- attitude of the locals towards dogs as pets

any advice or tips will highly be acknowledged and appreciated!

thanks!

God bless everyone!
ld

Re: Labuan

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:57 pm

laladatingaling wrote:belated happy chinese new year to all!!!

i hope you don't mind giving me information about Labuan with regards to the following matters:

- cost of living: Reasonably cheap compared to KK and KL. Lot's of bungalows at rental rates below RM2500 for large gardens and rooms. Cost of food is same as KL and alcohol and drinks are significantly cheaper due to the duty free status of labuan.- standard of living: Better than Langkawi. Labuan is a modern island with all the usual amenities you would expect. No big malls though but a good place to live non the less.- working permits for a dependent wife: easier to get than other places in malaysia. PM me for details on how to get in touch with a decent runner.- attitude of the locals towards dogs as pets: Labuan is 78% malay/muslim but pets are accepted and part and parcel of life. The local vet department has no problems attending to dogs but dont expect high quality medical services for pets other than the usual boosters and injections needed. Basic treatment available for minor injuries. Great beach's to walk the dog on and also a really nice park.

any advice or tips will highly be acknowledged and appreciated!

thanks!

God bless everyone!
Grumman TBF Avenger

Sponsored Links

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 pm

Labuan is now an oil and gas town, so you know what you can expect.

It is also an [spam word detected] banking center and a major air force base for the malaysian air force. It also has a ship building facility that is busy and active and labuan is reasonably vibrant.
Grumman TBF Avenger

Thanks Thanks

Postby ld » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Thank you very much for the information :) It would really help us how to start moving ourselves there :)

Thanks again :)
ld

Re: Thanks Thanks

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:37 pm

laladatingaling wrote:Thank you very much for the information :) It would really help us how to start moving ourselves there :)

There is a sizeable filipino community in labuan BUT...Labuan is also well known as the Bangkok of Malaysia, if you get my drift.
Grumman TBF Avenger

Postby ld » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:38 am

DEVGRU72 wrote:
laladatingaling wrote:Thank you very much for the information :) It would really help us how to start moving ourselves there :)

There is a sizeable filipino community in labuan BUT...Labuan is also well known as the Bangkok of Malaysia, if you get my drift.

In what way is it being compared to Bangkok - is it more on the positive or the negative side? Just curious...

We are tentatively scheduled to move there this March from Bintulu.

thanks![/u]
ld

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:18 pm

laladatingaling wrote:
DEVGRU72 wrote:

In what way is it being compared to Bangkok - is it more on the positive or the negative side? Just curious...

We are tentatively scheduled to move there this March from Bintulu.

thanks![/u]

Oh don't worry...Labuan is way better than Bintulu BUT not as quiet as Bintulu. :)
Grumman TBF Avenger

Postby BluePinay » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 pm

Hey!

I thought I'd join you guys here and hope to get some insights.

Here's a link to my post, http://www.alloexpat.com/malaysia_expat ... 7-240.html

Hello all...

I think I'm finally going to be offered a job in KL. Though I am not very sure where in KL yet as I am just coordinating with a headhunter, I was told that the offer was actually good. But then, I don't know what is a good offer at all. This is a managerial post BTW. I have 15 years working experience.

Anyway, they mentioned MYR10,000.00 to MYR15,000.00, all in! Meaning, I will pay for the following:

-tax
-two bedroom house
-school for my 7 yo kid (international school sana but if I can't afford it, local schools will do)
-utilities
-transportation
-maid (part time/full time)
-food
-EVERYTHING

I don't know what other perks I'd be getting though. Please let me know what else do I need to know.

I've read on the net that this is already a good offer but then I ask you my fellow kababayans (filipinos) if this is indeed a good offer.

Thanks guys for any answers. Once I'm in Malaysia, let's go drink together and hope someone show me around.
BluePinay

Thanks

Postby ld » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:06 am

DEVGRU72,

You've always been such a good help eversince I joined this forum :)

Till my next post :)
ld

Re: Thanks

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:39 pm

laladatingaling wrote:DEVGRU72,

You've always been such a good help eversince I joined this forum :)

Till my next post :)

No worries..if u wana run a list of places to stay in labuan by me before you actually commit urselfs to staying or renting, let me know..i will be more than happy to make some suggestions or to tell you to avoid an area...but honestly, labuan is pretty good and most of the homes i saw were good to live in...

its kinda like bintulu (quiet, laid back) but with the night life and girls...
Grumman TBF Avenger

Next