Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

kids' from mixed married citizenship

Discuss about the Malaysian News, Expatriates concerns & interests. International issues and other serious subjects can also be discussed here.

Moderators: Skyking2, fizzysoup, poker, Shardy, Rogier, JazzMatt

kids' from mixed married citizenship

• Bookmark and Share

Postby Datin Bangsar » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm a malay woman and married to a french guy. We're about to have our baby that due this July. I'll be giving birth in KL itself. MY questions are:

(a) will my child automatically be given Malaysian citizenship though we are planning to register him at French embassy? I really want my child to be Malaysian as its not easy to be one when the father is not Malaysian ;

(b) will he be able to get his Malaysian passport?; and

(c) will he also able to get his French citizenship or passport? As his father wants to be French too. (I know that malaysian law doesnt allow this but I've heard a big number of people has done this before where they do the Malaysian registration first and later do the other part - for mixed married, at the end.. their child has dual citizenship)

any information/tips is highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Datin Bangsar

Re: kids' from mixed married citizenship

Postby Patrice » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:30 am

Tukang Cari wrote:
(c) will he also able to get his French citizenship or passport? As his father wants to be French too. (I know that malaysian law doesnt allow this but I've heard a big number of people has done this before where they do the Malaysian registration first and later do the other part - for mixed married, at the end.. their child has dual citizenship)

My kids (and even my wife) had no problem getting a French passport even if they had another one (not a Malaysian one) because France does not ask one to renounce his citizenship to get the French citizenship.
In any case, you should go to the Embassy with you Malaysian birth certificate and they will get done for you the French birth certificate. This is an essential paper to get, because even if you don't make the passport now, since he/she will be registered as the child of a French citizen.

You'd better anyway directly check with the Consulate (as in my case, even if the country of origin of my wife does not really allow dual citizenship, she was nto Malaysian), the 2 ladies in charge are very helpful and they are the only one who can give the exact reply and that you can trust 100%. I think your husband should ring them to check, and you will the reply in 5 minutes!
Patrice

Sponsored Links

Postby Tex » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:25 am

yOU CHILD WILL HAVE TO:

1) get mykid pink card (the ID)

2) get the Malaysian Passport (Menara Millenium area)

3) get the French passport

he can have double citizenship till 18 years of age, by then he will make a choice or decide not to declare that he holds 2 passports, anyway, in 18 years time law may be different and allow dual citizenship.
Tex
Moderator Malaysia

Postby Datin Bangsar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:41 am

I was quite sure that French government dont really mind giving dual citizenship. What makes me worried is because since I'm giving birth in KL, my husband has to register him to the French Embassy in KL so I thought they might resist in giving my child his French citizenship (as it would contradict with the Malaysian law).

Both of us wants him to have both citizenship.. :)

Since he'll be given dual citizenship until he's 18, I feel relief. One more quick question, must I go to Menara Millenium to do his passport? Cant I do it at another branches? Say it has to be Menara Millenium, may someone provide me the address.

Thanx!
Datin Bangsar

Postby Tex » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 am

You can go anywhere they issue passport, I went there because early morning is possible to park the car decently easy

...and since your son will be French citizen, he is allowed to burn french cars in the suburbs of Paris twice a year :wink:

How I wish I am french too :shock:
Tex
Moderator Malaysia

Postby Datin Bangsar » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Har har har.. I will tell him that!
Datin Bangsar

Postby ice6696 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:58 am

Well...
This is what I did....

1. Malaysian Citizen (birth cert) with my husband's family name at the end of our daughter's name (no binti), get the myKid card. You will collect later. Blue-Boy Pink-Girl.

2. Malaysian passport - not an issue at all

3. ID for french citizenship can also be done at their embassy, you probably need application form and ask what do you need to provide. Is your husband french? Then he'll need to sign the application form not you. P/S: Bring along birth cert (not sure if they need myKid, just provide in case they might request for it)

4. French passport or other passport/s...here's the problem. Malaysia do not allow us to hv two passports...if they catch you...you'll get BIG FINE.

Regarding the passport, your child still can get it before he/she turn 18 years old. Therefore, when the child is older let him/she decide what they want. P/S: It's up to you what makes you feel comfortable
ice6696

Postby MyHun » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:48 am

Tex wrote:yOU CHILD WILL HAVE TO:

1) get mykid pink card (the ID)

2) get the Malaysian Passport (Menara Millenium area)

3) get the French passport

he can have double citizenship till 18 years of age, by then he will make a choice or decide not to declare that he holds 2 passports, anyway, in 18 years time law may be different and allow dual citizenship.

hi there Tex,

May I know, where from you got this information? I'm getting 2 different info regarding this. Some say can have dual citizenship up to 18 years of age, some say no such thing. As much as I want to believe this is true but really would feel a lot better if the information came from a legit source and not just hearsay.

Thanks.
MyHun