Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

How long can I stay in Malaysia doing just visa runs ?

Malaysian Immigration related issues and discussion. Information about work permits, employment pass, training pass, spouse program, etc.

Moderators: Skyking2, Shardy, Rogier, Zarrar, Immigration Consultant

How long can I stay in Malaysia doing just visa runs ?

• Bookmark and Share

Postby boxfish » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:19 am

Hi there, I would really appreciate it if anyone can advise me on the following:

In September I will be moving to Malaysia, with the intention of staying. I am a UK Citizen so can stay for three months at a time, it will not be a problem to do a visa run to say, Singapore, every three months. But how long can I do this for ? Are immigration officials pretty relaxed about this ?

I am 41 now and will probably be applying for MM2H when I reach 50, so I will need to do visa runs for nine years ! I am self-employed and my work is not related to Malaysia so I probably won't be able to get an employment permit unless I take work on the side as a divemaster and get an employment permit that way ......

Thanks for any advice you can give !
boxfish

Postby ocaaaaa » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:40 pm

I think every person's experience with this can be different. The time you're looking to do this for sounds quite long ...

If you're staying close to 90 days each time then popping over to Singapore for a day or 2 and returning - immigration may not like this. I've been staying around 18 months but I leave once a month, or every 2 months and then gone for a week or longer, and always a different destination. Not had any problems yet but somehow doubt I could do this for 8-9 years!
ocaaaaa

Sponsored Links

Postby boxfish » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:57 am

ocaaaaa wrote:I think every person's experience with this can be different. The time you're looking to do this for sounds quite long ...

If you're staying close to 90 days each time then popping over to Singapore for a day or 2 and returning - immigration may not like this. I've been staying around 18 months but I leave once a month, or every 2 months and then gone for a week or longer, and always a different destination. Not had any problems yet but somehow doubt I could do this for 8-9 years!

Thanks for your reply Ocaaaa. Well, what I was thinking of doing was getting a return flight to Singapore and return straight away, every three months. I wish to settle in Malaysia which means long-term apartment rental, having my belongings in Malaysia and establishing long-term friendships there, so I don't really want to run the risk of a Malaysian border official saying, "sorry, you can't come back in again".

If there was a significant risk of this happening I could always pop over to the Philippines every couple of months, do some diving there for a week or so and then return to Malaysia.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else here has done multiple instant-returns like I am thinking of doing. Cheers.
boxfish

Postby Jack » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:09 am

You can still apply to MM2H even if you're under 50.

Applicants aged below 50 years are required to show proof of liquid assets worth a minimum of RM500,000 and offshore income of RM10,000 per month.

You can also set up your own company to get a visa.

Otherwise, it is not recommended to do visa run for long term. While some may have no problem for a few years, others will be questioned after a few run only and face the risk of being black-listed. It happened to a few I know already.
Jack

Re: How long can I stay in Malaysia doing just visa runs ?

Postby Nemo. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:50 am

boxfish wrote:Hi there, I would really appreciate it if anyone can advise me on the following:

In September I will be moving to Malaysia, with the intention of staying. I am a UK Citizen so can stay for three months at a time, it will not be a problem to do a visa run to say, Singapore, every three months. But how long can I do this for ? Are immigration officials pretty relaxed about this ?

I am 41 now and will probably be applying for MM2H when I reach 50, so I will need to do visa runs for nine years ! I am self-employed and my work is not related to Malaysia so I probably won't be able to get an employment permit unless I take work on the side as a divemaster and get an employment permit that way ......

Thanks for any advice you can give !

Did you know you can get a mm2h visa at 40? A friend of my ex did. He runs his business out if Bali online and lives in KL. Even got a kid at school in KL (not Malaysian) with that visa. Cost 6k in fees if I remember correctly. Why not do that?

Malaysian immi will stop you after a few return visits! Def won't last 9 years
Nemo.

Re: How long can I stay in Malaysia doing just visa runs ?

Postby boxfish » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:53 am

Nemo. wrote:
Did you know you can get a mm2h visa at 40? A friend of my ex did. He runs his business out if Bali online and lives in KL. Even got a kid at school in KL (not Malaysian) with that visa. Cost 6k in fees if I remember correctly. Why not do that?

Malaysian immi will stop you after a few return visits! Def won't last 9 years

Thanks for the advice guys. I know that MM2H is available before the age of 50, but the capital investment requirements are just too high for me now, that's why I was planning on waiting until 50 before I apply.
boxfish