Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia
 

Homeschooling

Feel like talking about family and home issues? Secret recipes, health and sexual issues, arts and crafts, pets, parenting advice, schools & other

Moderators: Skyking2, Rogier, geordie



  • Bookmark and Share

Postby pinky » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 pm

I have a kid in my art class, 8 year old, Swede, who attends local chinese school. He is doing very well and is having a good time. The environment in chinese schools nowadays is very different (particularly in PJ). The kids all speak excellent english and they're well mannered.

The parents are more aware of giving them a well rounded education rather than turning them into examination machines. I have many kids like this in my art class and they are a joy to teach.
pinky
 

Postby Zara » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi!

Which schools in PJ are you referring to? The impression Chinese schools give me are that they are military styled schools, who drill the poor kids with work, work & more work. They excel in exams because they have replicated the whole textbook in their heads, anything out of the book, they're lost. This is what I see in a few kids who I know attend Chinese schools.

Homework is endless and the kids do not have a life.

Z
Zara
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:12 am
Gender: None specified

Sponsored Links

Postby Anna Lau » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:49 am

Zara wrote:Hi!

Which schools in PJ are you referring to? The impression Chinese schools give me are that they are military styled schools, who drill the poor kids with work, work & more work. They excel in exams because they have replicated the whole textbook in their heads, anything out of the book, they're lost. This is what I see in a few kids who I know attend Chinese schools.

Homework is endless and the kids do not have a life.

Z


cant agreed with you more zara.

I posted a topic not lond ago about this issue.

We are now on family vacation with our two boys and they actually brought their homework with them....on holidays :evil:
User avatar
Anna Lau
 
Posts: 3329
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:21 pm
Location: Malacca, Malaysia.
Gender: None specified

Postby pinky » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:07 pm

Well, the kid studies in a Yuk Chai. Other than the usual schooling, he goes for basketball, taekwando and also robotics. Smart kid, does his work fast, friendly and helpful too. He will help a younger boy in the art class who has problem drawing simple things. :?
pinky
 

Postby Zara » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:07 pm

pinky wrote:Well, the kid studies in a Yuk Chai. Other than the usual schooling, he goes for basketball, taekwando and also robotics. Smart kid, does his work fast, friendly and helpful too. He will help a younger boy in the art class who has problem drawing simple things. :?


Well and good that he's a smart kid, but are all kids from his school like him?

Besides, how can you say that the kids are all-rounded when they have to attend one class after another after school? They are being robbed of their childhood.
Zara
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:12 am
Gender: None specified

Postby CHika » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:31 pm

Zara wrote:Besides, how can you say that the kids are all-rounded when they have to attend one class after another after school? They are being robbed of their childhood.


Well said Zara.

Cheers
Chika
CHika
 
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:49 pm
Location: Tropic of Capricorn
Gender: None specified

Re: Homeschooling

Postby Karen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:35 pm

ThereandBack wrote:Has anyone got any information on homeschooling for expats in KL?
Or experiences perhaps?
thanks.


Hi
We are ex-UK home-educators, but in Penang. We are finding it hard going in some respects as this is a VERY school oriented culture. And all those after-school classes (sports, arts etc) that we want are not available to us, not even the Girl Guides, because they are only run for the school children.
We have not found any other home-educators here yet. I don't want to put you off (home education is brilliant - if you want more info please pm), but if you are coming from a country with lots of other home-educators to get support from, you may find it difficult here. That said, KL may have lots of home-educators (there are certainly lots more activities). If there are any in Penang please get in touch!!
Karen
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:09 am
Gender: None specified

Re: Homeschooling

Postby CHika » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:31 pm

Karen wrote:Hi
We are ex-UK home-educators, but in Penang. We are finding it hard going in some respects as this is a VERY school oriented culture. And all those after-school classes (sports, arts etc) that we want are not available to us, not even the Girl Guides, because they are only run for the school children.
We have not found any other home-educators here yet. I don't want to put you off (home education is brilliant - if you want more info please pm), but if you are coming from a country with lots of other home-educators to get support from, you may find it difficult here. That said, KL may have lots of home-educators (there are certainly lots more activities). If there are any in Penang please get in touch!!


Hi Karen,

Sorry I don't know the home-schooling scene in Penang. The one that I know of is the Alpha Omega programme(there is link that I provided in one of my post). There are also homeschooling programme run by churches in KL but I have no info on Penang.

As for extra activities there are dancing school, two names that is still in my memory and I know they still exist is Apple Ballet School and Priscilla Ballet School. THere are also many dojos( martial arts) and football clubs for kids and you don't necessarily need to attend the school there to join the club. All you need to do is pay a annual or monthly fee to be a part of the club. THere is also Boys Brigade in churches( I am sure by now they have Girls Brigade too :lol: ) if you don't mind your kids attending it and I know for sure one doesn't need to be a Christian to join the grp.

I am sorry I don't have the details in my hand but perhaps you can ask around to get more info. If I do get any info for kids activites I will let you know.

Cheers
CHika
CHika
 
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:49 pm
Location: Tropic of Capricorn
Gender: None specified

Postby Karen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi Chika
Thanks - if you think of any more routes we can try I'd be glad to hear! We have enquired about Brownies but the local schools have refused membership, and our nearest school only caters for its pupils in all activities. The Kung Fu centre (my children did KF in the UK) told us to go away and that no children learn KF in Penang! But we are finding things slowly by very determined searching - the YMCA were really helpful and offer Karate so we will switch to that. It seems there is no shortage of academic tuition!
Karen
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:09 am
Gender: None specified

Postby CHika » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:34 pm

Karen wrote:Hi Chika
Thanks - if you think of any more routes we can try I'd be glad to hear! We have enquired about Brownies but the local schools have refused membership, and our nearest school only caters for its pupils in all activities. The Kung Fu centre (my children did KF in the UK) told us to go away and that no children learn KF in Penang! But we are finding things slowly by very determined searching - the YMCA were really helpful and offer Karate so we will switch to that. It seems there is no shortage of academic tuition!


No worries Karen.

May I know which Kung Fu school is that? I have come across one CHinese Temple that teaches Kung Fu. I can't remember the name of the street-gosh but I know its between of the street Carnavanon Stree or Chulia Street(not sure of the spelling too :oops: ), its near the big wet market( near Prangin Mall). My friends used to learn Kung Fu there and some of them were not CHinese.

I will try to get in touch with my friends in Penang ( hopefully no one has changed their number!) and get some info for you. Have you tried calling the Girl Guides HQ at Scotland Rd. (it's near by to the State Mosque)?

Yes YMCA has many activities, has lotsa of good memories too for me :lol:

Cheers
CHika
CHika
 
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:49 pm
Location: Tropic of Capricorn
Gender: None specified

PreviousNext



cron