Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Help Find a Good Suit Tailor

Share your experiences about restaurants, shopping and Leisure & attraction in Malaysia. Special outlets and shopping places, or best hangout joints are welcome.

Moderators: Skyking2, Shardy, Rogier, JazzMatt

Help Find a Good Suit Tailor

• Bookmark and Share

Postby vvt172 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I will be visiting Kuala Lumpur in November and am looking to tailor-make a good suit for around AUD600 (RM1700). Does anyone have any good recommendations? I am not interested in dodgy tailors that claim to make suits within 24 hours. Thanks.
vvt172

Postby Patrice » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:51 pm

I have never got one done in KL, since I used to get them made in Bangkok (and now in Beijing), but I heard good things about the ones in Sungei Wang plaza. I think there is one called The Page.

Now for your price level, I think you culd give a try a KLCC. The suits there are in the 2K range, but again, since I believe most suits are done by the same "workshops", either you go to a high end one or not, the quality difference will be me more in the guy making the measurements and the fitting, so don't overpay for the shop location...
Patrice

Sponsored Links

Re: Help Find a Good Suit Tailor

Postby patriciachansubang » Thu May 13, 2010 8:25 am

I know, while there are some good tailors in KL (but they are can be quite expensive), there also many dodgy ones.

There is however a good tailor whose charges are very reasonable for the quality of tailoring.

Try this guy - a good tailor in KL. My boyfriend is a regular customer. I've also made 2 ladies jackets and a few blouses there. quality stuff, nice price too. :)
patriciachansubang

Postby Rogier » Thu May 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Even though the topic starter will possibly not be interested in the information we provide, I think it's a good topic for other members as well.

I have done a few a suits in Bangkok, and after that KL and I think that the quality in KL is much better then Bangkok. It already starts with the fabric, and I think that KL has higher quality available in general.

If you check out the whole area in Little India and around you will find plenty of good tailors. Because there are so many of them, they have to be good to survive and many locals come there for a suit. If someone needs a few recommendations drop me a PM and I will send you some names.

Final thought, take a suit with you as an example, otherwise the tailor has to be lucky. It also helps if you buy a male magazine with some examples so they have a idea what kind of cut you prefer.
Rogier
Moderator Malaysia

Nationality: Netherlands (nl)

Postby kenkhoo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:58 pm

There is a good tailor in Ampang Park Complex in front of Nikko Hotel.
Very decent pricing for Zegna suits. Look for Allen Khoo Tailor
kenkhoo

Postby emmajacks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Which area is AA Tailor located? I just want to plan a trip to several tailors for my boyfriend when I am in KL. He needs a new suit whether he likes it or not.
emmajacks

Postby raymond_cch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Or this by a Thai expat tailor. It's located in Ampang

http://emiliaboutique.blogspot.com/
raymond_cch

Postby houb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 am

I've done a tailored suit at Kinslager (Desa Parkcity).

I am very happy with the final result. Measuring went ok. I just wanted to come back for at least 1 extra fitting session; and they didn't find this neccesary. I insist on a 2nd fitting. When you go to a tailor in KL it is quite important that you can give them the needed input yourself. I wanted a modern suit (not Italian or any other style per se); in my opinion it was just a regular suit. This meant I have to give much information; about the style (buttons, inner fabric, natural shoulders, armholes, open front cut, clean back, lapels, pockets etc...a lot to keep in mind as some tailors will mainly do their own style/thing).

I had suits made in the Netherlands; and if find it weird that the quality fabrics are cheaper over there then here in KL. The s100, s120 and even higher are cheaper in NL?

Tailors I considered too: Bespoked 1U and Ah Loke Tailor...

Tips:

Bring your own fabrics
Don't accept flaws, do accept minor flaws (which prove the suit is tailored)
Bring your own inner fabric
Bring your own ultimate buttons
houb

Malaysia Tailor

Postby smokeyspyce » Thu May 12, 2011 5:06 am

AVOID: Avis Adonis Executive Tailoring

They told me to put a deposit down on a suit they didn't have the material for and promised I would get a [spam word detected] if I cancelled within 48hrs. When I cancelled and went back for the deposit they refused. Ralph was a complete a******. I would never recommend believing a word this guy says and DO NOT TRUST HIM.

He tried to tell me he would have the police remove me and throw me in jail.

I used Rosie's in Penang for my Tailor. They were ok. Definately have at least two fittings and try on everything before you walk away. They sent me my suits back to Canada and got the pants right but the jackets not so much. I think if I had waited for them they would have got them done properley. At least they were nice and honest.
smokeyspyce

Postby Rogier » Sun May 22, 2011 8:38 pm

My best experience so far is always with Chinese tailors, fair business men, deliver on time and I had never issues with paying the whole amount in advance. Not that they asked for it but its easier in case someone else collects my stuff.

Can't care less, as long as I get my suit on time.
Rogier
Moderator Malaysia

Nationality: Netherlands (nl)

Next