Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Growing vegetables in Malaysia difficult?

Discuss about the Malaysian News, Expatriates concerns & interests. International issues and other serious subjects can also be discussed here.

Moderators: Skyking2, fizzysoup, poker, Shardy, Rogier, JazzMatt

• Bookmark and Share

Postby samosa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:24 am

Thank you for all the advice. Well, it still seems that it would be better for me to find a slightly cooler place so I could have some success with tomatoes and cucumbers...so what are my options? Last time I was in Penang I went to Balik Pulau (I think that's the name of the town), and it seemed that it was up a hill somewhat...would it be high enough that it's cooler there and you could grow some of the cool weather vegetables?

I've never been to Cameron, in fact, Penang is the only place I've been to. What about Ipoh? It's near Cameron...I would imagine that on the drive up to Cameron, there must be a lot of little intermediately high altitude towns where it would be cooler, if not as cool as Cameron...and maybe more accessible, in terms of internet and closer to big city needs.

Are there other areas of Malaysia that are at a higher elevation and hence cooler? :lol:
samosa

Postby Anna Lau » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:04 pm

samosa wrote:Thank you for all the advice. Well, it still seems that it would be better for me to find a slightly cooler place so I could have some success with tomatoes and cucumbers...so what are my options? Last time I was in Penang I went to Balik Pulau (I think that's the name of the town), and it seemed that it was up a hill somewhat...would it be high enough that it's cooler there and you could grow some of the cool weather vegetables?

I've never been to Cameron, in fact, Penang is the only place I've been to. What about Ipoh? It's near Cameron...I would imagine that on the drive up to Cameron, there must be a lot of little intermediately high altitude towns where it would be cooler, if not as cool as Cameron...and maybe more accessible, in terms of internet and closer to big city needs.

Are there other areas of Malaysia that are at a higher elevation and hence cooler? :lol:

Samosa! cucumber and tomatoes are ok to plan any where, I have one tomatoes plant at and it start to produce flowers now and I have planted cucumber, harversted some, the sweetest you can taste! :wink:

Chum! is that kind of leaf where indian people chew in their mouth and later become redish colour liquid and then they spit it out?? That is " sirih ", very spicy one! they say it is good for theeth. I agreed because I do not think any bacteria would servive in that spicy liquid this leaf is prodicing. In the old day, the malay people use to eat a lot too. Now a day, less people taking it and mostly use in weding ceremony as part of their tradition gift.

Penny!! you have a big garden!!! so you do not need to but any vege lah!!! How lucky! I did not manage to plan so much lah as I have to work in the office and take care of my boys. I have huge passion but only can do it when I have free time. I am going to plant my japanese cucumber again tomorrow! :lol: :lol:
Anna Lau

Sponsored Links

Postby samosa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:17 pm

Well Anna, I gathered from what Penny said that tomatoes were rather difficult there. You say you have one tomato plant, and it has flowered??? Well, let's see what the tomatoes end up like! They might be very small and few! :P

You harvested "some" cucumbers? Well, did you get a normal yield for a cucumber plant, or a very small one? :D

Do you live in a very hot area? Do you do anything special to help the cool weather vegetables grow?

Penny, yes, I too am very much an organic gardener. That's the whole point of growing your own.
samosa

Postby Anna Lau » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:45 am

samosa wrote:Well Anna, I gathered from what Penny said that tomatoes were rather difficult there. You say you have one tomato plant, and it has flowered??? Well, let's see what the tomatoes end up like! They might be very small and few! :P

Will " report " back to you when I harverst one! :wink:

You harvested "some" cucumbers? Well, did you get a normal yield for a cucumber plant, or a very small one? :D

As long and big as the one sells in the market! :wink:

Do you live in a very hot area? Do you do anything special to help the cool weather vegetables grow?

Malacca state, south of Malaysia. 30 - 35 every day!Nop!

Penny, yes, I too am very much an organic gardener. That's the whole point of growing your own.
Anna Lau

Postby penny » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:15 am

samosa wrote:Thank you for all the advice. Well, it still seems that it would be better for me to find a slightly cooler place so I could have some success with tomatoes and cucumbers...so what are my options? Last time I was in Penang I went to Balik Pulau (I think that's the name of the town), and it seemed that it was up a hill somewhat...would it be high enough that it's cooler there and you could grow some of the cool weather vegetables?

On the south side of Pg Island are some hilly areas eg Genting Highland (Penang). Even from Teluk Bahang to Balik Pulau or the Central areas lke up the hills in Ayer Itam. They are definitely cooler up there.

CH is definitely very ideal and all the cool weather plants grow very well. The soil is mainly black soil which is very good.(In Pg I have to put black soil to build up and prepare the ground).
I visited an uncle many yrs ago who lived up there in Tanah Rata and Ringlet areas. Even as a kid I was interested in gardening. I planted some groundnuts,sunflowers and Marigold etc in his garden and by the end of my vacation, they were already producing :!:
It's "hot" in the day and cool in the evening and night which is just ideal for plants to grow.

penny

Postby penny » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:34 am

Anna Lau Lofstedt wrote:Penny!! you have a big garden!!! so you do not need to but any vege lah!!! How lucky! I did not manage to plan so much lah as I have to work in the office and take care of my boys. I have huge passion but only can do it when I have free time. I am going to plant my japanese cucumber again tomorrow! :lol: :lol:

Anna, my garden is not big, but I maximise the space :) My hubby also loves gardening and he does all the hard work lah:D
We've not done Tropica gardening and so this one and a half year is like experimenting. I wished we have a garden big like yours where you can have chickens and ducks :!:
Now. our veggies are all finished for the season and germinating new seeds. We harvested our last "chit quah" 2 days ago. Giving the plots a break and start all over again. Just finished building our 2nd fish tank. So we're always busy :D
penny

Postby sim5 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:39 am

Chum wrote:It also seems that a particular kind of vegetable from india is growing well now, i'm not sure what it's called, it has some kind of strange name.... ;)

I'll let you know if i work it out :)

previously grape wont stand a change in the usual non-highland heat but nowadays, it grows everywhere even in Kuching .. strange :roll:
sim5

Growing vegetables in Malaysia difficult?

Postby roguegirl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:12 pm

There is no difficulty in growing vegetables in Malaysia unless you're trying to plant temperate vegetables/flowers in a tropical country. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cucumber can grow in both temperate and tropical area.

And you don't need to be in "cool" places to plant vegetables. Local vegetables like the sawi grows well in the plains. It depends on the soil they grow on, actually. If you are rich enough, you can have a glass house with air-conditioning... :D

Other than those, it would be great to have tapioca shoots eaten with "sambal" or some kerapu pucuk paku (green fern salad) or simple "sabong" leaves (Gnetum gnemon) either cooked just like that or with smoked fish or with coconut milk... bamboo shoots... lemidin (red fern)

Tapioca shoots are best eaten blanch as it contains small amount of cyanide.
roguegirl

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:33 pm

sim5 wrote:
Chum wrote:It also seems that a particular kind of vegetable from india is growing well now, i'm not sure what it's called, it has some kind of strange name.... ;)

previously grape wont stand a change in the usual non-highland heat but nowadays, it grows everywhere even in Kuching .. strange :roll:

SIM< i told you several time that what you smoke is no more called grape, is ganja :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tex
Moderator Malaysia

Postby sim5 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:39 pm

Tex wrote:
sim5 wrote:

SIM< i told you several time that what you smoke is no more called grape, is ganja :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

when i smoke i can see grape growing everywhere in Lundu (Sarawak) :wink:
sim5

PreviousNext