Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Feedback needed: Foreigners married to Malaysian women

Malaysian Immigration related issues and discussion. Information about work permits, employment pass, training pass, spouse program, etc.

Moderators: Skyking2, Shardy, Rogier, Zarrar, Immigration Consultant

Feedback needed: Foreigners married to Malaysian women

• Bookmark and Share

Postby idlevortex » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:38 pm

Hello

In one of my class projects, my group will be discussing about the problems faced by non-Malaysian men married to Malaysian women when it comes to settling down in Malaysia.

As we know, based on Article 15 in Malaysia's constitution and the Malaysian discriminatory-ish laws, it is highly difficult for foreign men to reside in Malaysia.

I would really appreciate to get feedback from those who knows someone in that position or have been in such position themselves.

Any personal thoughts, comments and views regarding problems you've come across as well as reasons for continuing to reside in Malaysia/leaving Malaysia are welcome. I also would like to hear from those who do wish to stay in Malaysia if it wasn't for the problems.

Hopefully comments (however brief or simple) I get will help spice up out discussion in class. Thanks! =)

p/s feel free to PM me or sent me an email velocityarmour @ gmail.comif you don't wish to talk here
idlevortex

Re: Feedback needed: Foreigners married to Malaysian women

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:46 pm

idlevortex wrote:Hello

In one of my class projects, my group will be discussing about the problems faced by non-Malaysian men married to Malaysian women when it comes to settling down in Malaysia.

As we know, based on Article 15 in Malaysia's constitution and the Malaysian discriminatory-ish laws, it is highly difficult for foreign men to reside in Malaysia.
I would really appreciate to get feedback from those who knows someone in that position or have been in such position themselves.

Any personal thoughts, comments and views regarding problems you've come across as well as reasons for continuing to reside in Malaysia/leaving Malaysia are welcome. I also would like to hear from those who do wish to stay in Malaysia if it wasn't for the problems.

Hopefully comments (however brief or simple) I get will help spice up out discussion in class. Thanks! =)

p/s feel free to PM me or sent me an email velocityarmour @ gmail.comif you don't wish to talk here

The Malaysian laws for foreign men are no different to any other country in the western hemisphere. No country willingly gives permits to live in country for an unlimited period of time without proper screening and evaluations..

I think you are being a little harsh on the malaysian government on this issue.

The question of citizenship and PR is probably what you mean whereby there is no proper guideline on how long or what criteria a person requires to gain PR or citizenship and within what period of time.

Then again, you are marrying the person, not the country so citizenship shouldnt be a big issue for you or anyone, unless you want to desperately become a malaysian.

In which case, the malaysian laws were put in place for people like that. :D :D
Grumman TBF Avenger

Sponsored Links

Foreign Husbands

Postby PhilWray » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:41 pm

Hi,

I am one! Been married to my Malaysian wife for 16 years now. We currently live in the UK.

Been looking to find work in Malaysia for a few years and it is quite difficult.

My sister in law got married in August to someone from Morocco, they are currently staying in Penang. He has been for lots of interviews but no one will take him on because he is a foreigner.

My wife’s cousin is from KL. Last year she married someone from Singapore and he is having the same problems trying to find work in Malaysia.

In Summary I don’t believe that staying in Malaysia is a problem it's the trying to find an employer that will sponsor an employment visa.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Phil
PhilWray

Postby idlevortex » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks for the respond everyone. Really appreciate it.

Then again, you are marrying the person, not the country so citizenship shouldnt be a big issue for you or anyone, unless you want to desperately become a malaysian.

Yes, it is true that the issue of citizenship shouldn't be that much of an issue, but fact still remains it's not so easy to fulfill the criteria to able one to obtain permission to live in the country.

There still exists a double-standard where the non-Malaysian wives can live in the country with or without having any employee sponsoring her.

And PhilWray,
would it be safe to say that if the chances you and your wife would most probably prefer to live in Malaysia?

Thanks again!
idlevortex

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:58 pm

idlevortex wrote:Thanks for the respond everyone. Really appreciate it.

Yes, it is true that the issue of citizenship shouldn't be that much of an issue, but fact still remains it's not so easy to fulfill the criteria to able one to obtain permission to live in the country.

There still exists a double-standard where the non-Malaysian wives can live in the country with or without having any employee sponsoring her.

And PhilWray,
would it be safe to say that if the chances you and your wife would most probably prefer to live in Malaysia?

Thanks again!

Because the norm is that a husband supports a wife and not vise versa. Something is seriously wrong if the wife is paying for the husband to live in malaysia. I dont see how this is double standards.
Grumman TBF Avenger

Living in Malaysia

Postby PhilWray » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:37 am

Yes we would like to move there for a while.
PhilWray

Postby ced » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:29 pm

bravo270 wrote:The Malaysian laws for foreign men are no different to any other country in the western hemisphere. No country willingly gives permits to live in country for an unlimited period of time without proper screening and evaluations..

I think you are being a little harsh on the malaysian government on this issue.

The question of citizenship and PR is probably what you mean whereby there is no proper guideline on how long or what criteria a person requires to gain PR or citizenship and within what period of time.

Although I'm no fan of immigration policy in western countries (especially in Europe, where I'm from, and which getting tougher & tougher on immigration), Malaysia makes it much harder.

A week or two ago, The Star had an article about chinese immigrants and children of chinese immigrants who've been living in Malaysia for decades and were still denied citizenship. The Star numbered them at around 200000 people who've been living all their life or most of their life in Malaysia, some of them having children with Malaysian citizenship, still the parents were only granted PR status.

I do not know of anything similar in western countries.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, my wife is Malaysian and I'm living here with nothing more than the standard 90 days visa, because that's pretty much all I can get. I'm in the process of getting a visa under the spouse programme, but this visa is linked to my job and is valid for only a year (and it costs $$$). Being married to a Malaysian citizen brings me hardly any advantage.

On the other hand, if we decide to go live in Europe, my wife will automatically get the right to live and work in any of the EU countries based on the sole fact that she is my wife. Nothing to pay, no time limit, no job offer required (she doesn't have to work anyway). Depending on the country, two years later she can get PR status. After 5 years she can get citizenship.

We're considering leaving Malaysia in a couple of years when my wife's work contract ends. Two years is not so long, so the spouse programme is a viable solution, but if I were to live in Malaysia for the rest of my life, that'd be a huge issue to me.

I think we all know here that the government has a preference for its own people, and that the preference doesn't stop at the nationality itself. But as a stranger, I can only accept it or leave. So far I've tolerated it, but I know one day I'll get sick of it.
ced

Postby GNandGS » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:43 am

ced summed it up...

US is the same way... "green cards" are not gender specific. SHOULD Malaysia just give up and have no rules? Nope, but some things are difficult when they shouldnt be.
GNandGS

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:02 pm

GNandGS wrote:ced summed it up...

US is the same way... "green cards" are not gender specific. SHOULD Malaysia just give up and have no rules? Nope, but some things are difficult when they shouldnt be.

Maybe they just dont want to make it easy for foreigners to settle down in malaysia...who knows...its their countr7..their laws...
Grumman TBF Avenger

Postby GNandGS » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:20 pm

MALE foreigners... otherwise its not "difficult" its just more of a pain than it needs to be and is MOREso for men.
GNandGS

Next