Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

change of employment - Malaysia working permit

Malaysian Immigration related issues and discussion. Information about work permits, employment pass, training pass, spouse program, etc.

Moderators: Skyking2, Shardy, Rogier, Zarrar, Immigration Consultant

change of employment - Malaysia working permit

• Bookmark and Share

Postby Maria » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:52 am

Hello,

I need some advice. I am currently working for a company and I have already have a working permit, but I have just got the opportunity to change employment. I have heard that I need to re-apply for a working permit, but there is a cooling period of 6 months within which I can not work for a different employer. Is this true? Does that mean that I can not take this new offer?

Some tell me that there are ways around it. If anyone has any suggestions or experience on the matter, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks

Maria
Maria

re : cooling period

Postby norman » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:13 am

Hi Maria

It s true, there is normally a cooling period of 6 months in between two different employer and two working permit, but there is way "special reasons" to skip it, it happens to me. You ll have to see a good consultant for working application and they will help you to skip this cooling period.

Call Allo Expat to refer you to the best consultant on this matter.

Norma
norman

Sponsored Links

cooling period

Postby Maria » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:04 pm

Hi Norman,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help. Thanks for the tip of contacting Allo Expat to help obtain a working permit. I am happy to hear that there are professional consultants that can help me with this cooling period problem.

Thanks alot

Take care

Maria
Maria

Re: cooling period

Postby CONSULTANT » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:00 pm

Maria wrote:Hi Norman,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your help. Thanks for the tip of contacting Allo Expat to help obtain a working permit. I am happy to hear that there are professional consultants that can help me with this cooling period problem.

Thanks alot

Take care

Maria

hi, have u found a consultant... if u dont... u can let me know...
take care
CONSULTANT

Switching jobs...

Postby teak » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:57 pm

While I do not claim to be an expert at doing this -switching jobs without going through the six-month cooling off period- I have been involved in the process twice: once for myself and once for a foreigner whom I hired to work in my program.

Basically, you need to get the company to make the appeal for you. It can be done at Immigration but you need to do some homework first. The company that you want to move to needs to run at least one advertisement in the newspaper or on jobstreet to show that they tried to hire a local. They should interview several people and collect their resumes. On the application to Immigration, they need to show that your credentials exceeded that of local applicants and you are needed to fill the post RIGHT AWAY.

As I said, I have done this twice and navigated the tricky waters of Immigration without resorting to the use of an agent. In fact, at Immigration I was told by officials to AVOID agents. The agents are known and loathed, I believe, by the Immigration people to some extent.

In both cases I was able to get the work permit switched without either one of us having to leave the country for ANY length of time. It can be done.
teak

Ooopps...

Postby teak » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:00 pm

I just noticed that the original post was back in April 2003! Hahaha... hope they made the switch!!
teak

Postby Nellie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:23 pm

2003..wow....usually its dotP who digs the oldies up!!

Anyway just to add:

If you work permit is less than six months old, the cooling off period applies, 6 months. For those after six months....well good luck...apply the permit.
Nellie

Employment change

Postby linh » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:26 pm

I worked for last employer more than 6 months with working permit. Now I can get another job where the employer is willing to apply for another working permit for me. However, I understand that there're certain risks here. Could anyone advise me what're the procedures applied here and is there anyway to shorten waiting time for new visa.

What to expect from old employer?

Thanks
linh