Malaysia Expat Forum - Malaysia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Malaysia

Boat transfer from Jetty Kota Kinabalu to islands

Share your experiences on tourism issues throughout Malaysia. Discuss in this forum about the right places where to relax or go for holidays.

Moderators: Skyking2, fizzysoup, Rogier, JazzMatt

Boat transfer from Jetty Kota Kinabalu to islands

• Bookmark and Share

Postby sofeasz_rose » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Hi there,

This is good package going to islands for snorkeling and diving.

A good park for the whole family is the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park Snorkel in clear waters and explore coral reefs teeming with tropical fish. White sandy beaches and warm water of Manukan Island are perfect for family fun or you can go hiking on the nature trails of Pulau Gaya. To get to the islands, take a boat from Kota Kinabalu.

Please contact [edited by jack - contact info@alloexpat.com to promote your services - thanks] for more details on the trips.

Good discount.

Cheers
:D
sofeasz_rose

Postby Eagle » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:31 pm

Cheaper to wait at the ferry terminal and get your tickets there. very easy esp if you have a gang of 6 people. Don't let anyone shark you. Ferry terminal is a short walk from the town square - Wisma Merdeka and my favourite italian restaurant Littly Italy.. yummy! Oh I'm digressing again ... :twisted:
Eagle

Sponsored Links

Postby my44 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:59 pm

I used to stay in Hyatt Regency Kinabalu for about 1 month. Finally managed to get to Sapi Beach and snorkeling at Manukan. We did walk-in at Sabah Port Terminal. Certainly did not need to book in advance.

I forgot what price I paid, but probably around RM100 for 2 persons with indefinite time frame (that means we just told the boatman to go here and there, and then set the time for the pick-up back to downtown Kota Kinabalu)

Agreed that Little Italy was memorable. But I forgot what I ate, LOL. Maybe some pasta I guess.
my44

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Tue May 15, 2007 7:16 pm

You certainly dont need to book any ferry/boat service across to the Islands in advance bar Pulau Tiga which you need to go though the resort managing the place.

If you PLAN on going fishing out at sea, I strongly urge you NOT to take up offers online without checking with a MOD first who is based in Kinabalu as there are several companies that do offer safe trips out to sea for 1-2 day fishing trips in Kinabalu and Kudat.

There risk of an accident happening is always there with the weather also coming into play. The last thing you want is for something to go wrong and being with someone who has no experince or knowledge or is not prepared for such incidents. It has happened before and its not worth the risk.
Grumman TBF Avenger

Postby my44 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:01 am

Here's the latest update from my recent trip to KK last Nov. The refurbished jetty called Jesselton Point (ex Sabah Port terminal) should be able to arrange for the island trips (Manukan, Sapi, Gaya, Sulug, Mamutik). The boat price seems to be regulated by the authority and it depends on how many people sign up for the boat trip.

Otherwise, yes, there are hundreds of local travel agents are advertising similar service from the hotel lobby or shophouses around town. All of them have to depart from the same jetty, mostly.
my44

Postby Grumman TBF Avenger » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:51 am

my44 wrote:Here's the latest update from my recent trip to KK last Nov. The refurbished jetty called Jesselton Point (ex Sabah Port terminal) should be able to arrange for the island trips (Manukan, Sapi, Gaya, Sulug, Mamutik). The boat price seems to be regulated by the authority and it depends on how many people sign up for the boat trip.

Otherwise, yes, there are hundreds of local travel agents are advertising similar service from the hotel lobby or shophouses around town. All of them have to depart from the same jetty, mostly.

Its a 10 minute walk due NORTH from Wisma Merdeka and you dont need a taxi to get there. However, if you are in Api Api Center or outside of the city center, you'd probably want a cab then...

If you are staying at Sutera Harbour Resort or Shangri-La Tanjung Aru, then they have boats servicing the islands directly.

Have fun
Grumman TBF Avenger

Postby MissBehave » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:15 pm

I paid about 17-20 for the boat trip to 1 island at a time (take forever to finish snorkelling and snapping pictures!) The best time to go is from 10 am - 2 pm as after that it pours and you do NOT want to get caught in a storm if you're not a good swimmer!
MissBehave