Cambodia Expat Forum - Cambodia Expatriates by Allo' Expat Cambodia

Second Hand Car Dealer

Dedicated discussion forum for the Phnom Penh communauty. Phnom Penh addicts, expatriates or Cambodians, are most welcome to post in this Message Boards. We welcome your experiences, tips, top spots... Make this forum the ultimate in & out Phnom Penh guide.

Second Hand Car Dealer

• Bookmark and Share

Postby steveatkins » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi

Does anyone one know of a reputable second hand car dealer in Phnom Penh?

Many thanks…
steveatkins

Postby Mr Jade » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:56 am

I would also like to get some info on the best way to buy a car in Cambodia.

Any help will be most welcome.
Mr Jade

Sponsored Links

Postby Mr Jade » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:28 pm

This forum is full of answers I think not????????
No help at all here.
Mr Jade

second hand car

Postby Cdove » Tue May 19, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm from Malaysia and currently considering employment in Phnom Penh.

any info on getting a second hand car there?
Cdove

Postby Mr Jade » Sun May 24, 2009 7:59 am

Last year someone on allexpat asked for some advice about buying a car in Cambodia.

I have come up with some very important information for Expats living in Cambodia.
1St: Do not buy a R/H Drive car. Not only is it dangerous but they are all going to be put off the road in the next few months that is why you will find them so cheap.

2nd: If you do buy a car Private or from a dealer make sure that they have all of the paper work with the information about the VIN # etc also make sure all import taxes have been paid, other wise you could finish up having to pay Thousands of Dollars in Import Duty.

3rd: Do Not buy a Vehicle that has been an NGO Vehicle or you will have to pay the Import Duty.

4th: If they don't have all of this paper work the vehicle could be stolen.

A lot of Khmers will just say Its OK just give the cops a few Dollars & everything will be OK (They just want to sell you their car.)

After investigating into this I have decided to set up Expat Motors, to help Expat find Good Quality Cars, It is like a mine field out there.

I have two cars for sale at the moment if its of any use to you. You can PM me on alloexpat and I can send you my Website address if your interested in either of my cars or if you need any info or help in buying a car in Cambodia. I hope this has been of help to you.

This information also includes Motobikes.
Mr Jade

Postby jeddy14 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:09 am

I have come up with some very important information for Expats living in Cambodia.
1St: Do not buy a R/H Drive car. Not only is it dangerous but they are all going to be put off the road in the next few months that is why you will find them so cheap.
jeddy14

I can get any LEFT hand drive car for you,,thanks Mr. Jade

Postby jungledude » Thu May 13, 2010 4:13 pm

I live in Honolulu Hawaii,,,,,bought and sold cars for a living because I love cars,,I'm coming back to Thailand but see more oppurtunity and loved PP when I was there,,,I can get 2 cars in a 40ft container plus any parts from here or Los Angeles,,,if you check out Craigslist Hawaii yu can see its a buyers market and of course all Left hand drive,,,I can get SUV's ,,,4x4,,trucks,,cars,etc.,,,,,,of course there will be Alot of bullshit with the move through BKK to Sihanoukville thats what I expect,,,I'm going to ship a couple over and wanted to know if anybody else might want to get involved or order something specific,,,,thanks again for good advice Mr. Jade,,,,I've handled forged titles,,fake reg's,,bad safety check decals,,etc but thats the biz,,,Aloha,,,Derek

2nd: If you do buy a car Private or from a dealer make sure that they have all of the paper work with the information about the VIN # etc also make sure all import taxes have been paid, other wise you could finish up having to pay Thousands of Dollars in Import Duty.

3rd: Do Not buy a Vehicle that has been an NGO Vehicle or you will have to pay the Import Duty.

4th: If they don't have all of this paper work the vehicle could be stolen.

A lot of Khmers will just say Its OK just give the cops a few Dollars & everything will be OK (They just want to sell you their car.)

After investigating into this I have decided to set up Expat Motors, to help Expat find Good Quality Cars, It is like a mine field out there.

I have two cars for sale at the moment if its of any use to you. You can PM me on alloexpat and I can send you my Website address if your interested in either of my cars or if you need any info or help in buying a car in Cambodia. I hope this has been of help to you.

This information also includes Motobikes.[/quote]
    jungledude

Postby Johnlewis82 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks Jade for this great stuff. They are really useful, however I think we are missing tax and insurance in the overall equation. Please let me know few details on this as well. I am looking for used car buy before this Christmas.
    Johnlewis82

Used cars exported to Cambodia fro USA

Postby Mannamos » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Hello All Newbie here looking to set up life in Cambodia. I have been doing a lot of research on the web and it appears that even with all the taxes and duties, it is still possible to make some money from importing used cars out of the USA.

The take I have on it based on classified ads is that cars are selling for around 4 to 5 times what I can buy them in US as a wholesale dealer. I can buy SUV that is bringing $14,000 to 16,000 in PP for about $3,000 in USA shipping two of these in a container would cost about 7 or 8 K . If customs charges 140% on the invoice that would be 4,200. So with he big assumption that you actually get charged on the invoice....? then the net cost is now 7,200 PLUS another 10% makes 7,9220 PLUS the shipping makes 11,9220. That is about 4,000 profit on that load. I can squeeze a few motorbikes in and make a similar or better profit margin.

So has anybody looked into this gig and can it be done? Lots and lots of details not considered here such as registration and the legality of setting up a business to sell from.....Ahemmm
    Bottom line from what I am reading there are a lot of expats buying bars / guest houses and making less or going broke...sorry for the long post. Lots to learn ... Any advice helpful!
    Mannamos